Do you want to be part of the Brighter Way at Sun Life Financial? It&'s an innovative management system based on Lean principles that we've introduced at Sun Life so we can continue to put the voice of the customer at the heart of everything we do. Reporting to the Vice President, Business Excellence, this senior role is responsible for overall governance of the project teams supporting transformation waves in SLF Canada. The incumbent will oversee a team of Lean Six Sigma professionals who facilitate, plan, execute and implement a portfolio of initiatives to affect value stream changes and improve our management system across various parts of the organization. This includes business process changes as determined by the operation, in alignment with business strategy and operational needs. Be part of our Brighter Way team!
The incumbent will be responsible to ensure overall governance of the transformation wave related projects, through partnership within Canadian Operations, and the BUs, determining, executing, and implementing change initiatives in line with transformation roadmaps. The role will establish appropriate governance forums and develop strong partnerships to collaborate with business leaders across SLF Canada. The incumbent will be responsible to establish necessary baseline financial and non-financial key performance indicators, and ensure appropriate scorecards are in place to track overall improvement of transforming to Lean process and management methodologies.
Key accountabilities of the role include:
- Build and maintain a team of talented, capable and highly engaged employees empowered to serve client groups
- Ensure the team is positioned to achieve required business results by fostering a work environment that values people and encourages participative learning, accountability, and client empowerment aligned and in support of the SLF brand.
- Drive the transformation to a value stream centric organization (e.g., client focus, measure and manage, drive out waste, improve quality and consistency of work processes, cross-functional line of sight, etc.)
- Provide leadership to the team to manage a portfolio of value stream improvement initiatives that are measurable and drive value for SLF Canada (identify opportunities, champion proposals, solution deployment, benefit realization)
- Develop an understanding of the SLF businesses so that you can support your team with problem solving
- Provide senior project management leadership, enhance or develop solutions and roadmaps with a view to accomplishing the strategy, vision/mandate of SLF Canada towards transforming various Business Unit and Operations groups towards operating models centered on Lean based methodologies.
- Development, direction and governance of the Project Management Practice to ensure effective best practice management of projects supporting transformation waves and identified process improvement projects.
- For all initiatives, ensure baseline current state financial and non-financial performance indicators are established, and endorsed by appropriate stakeholders. As part of transformation and improvement initiatives, ensure that ongoing performance indicators are determined and communicated versus baseline measures.
- Partner with Business Project and Solutions team to develop and lead improvement of project management practices- processes, tools and competencies
- Ongoing oversight to the overall project portfolio prioritizing projects based on strategic importance, demonstrating proactive portfolio issue and risk management (in-take and prioritization process)
- Direct/promote disciplined portfolio management practices to ensure effective decision making
- Ensure key project targets are achieved on time, within budget and scope, and ensure the delivery of overall project portfolio status and progress reporting to senior management
- Work in partnership with senior leaders in the establishment and prioritization of functional team project plans
- Drive change management strategy through comprehensive understanding of recommended solutions while managing the impact to the areas of business affected by the proposed project work.
- Proactively engage other Enablement Leaders on business solution development for knowledge sharing, input and best practices.
- Provide leadership and/or partnership for other key Strategic Initiatives, as required
- Excellent people leadership with the ability to engage a team of talented professionals positioned to deliver on business results.
- Strong Experience with Lean, Six Sigma and CMMI process and management operating model methodologies preferred
- Portfolio Management experience working on large, complex projects with multiple work streams with demonstrated ability to create and execute on project work plans, revising as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Interpersonal and leadership experience to drive for change through a strong ability to problem solve, influence business partners and execute ideas through to completion
- Extensive knowledge and understanding Project and Process Management practices and disciplines, tools and methodologies
- Demonstrated strength and ability to design and implement processes and standards
- Strong relationship management skills and ability to foster strong internal relationships with leaders across Canadian Operations as well as Functional or Business leaders across SLF
- Strong facilitation, negotiation and issue resolution skills
- Excellent communication, change management and presentation skills, excelling at presenting project portfolio status information and making recommendations to executive level program sponsors.
- Flexible, creative approach to work and a willingness to challenge the status quo
- Experience in the financial services industry with an understanding of operational management practices and objectives including accountabilities, approaches to problem solving, industry trends and best practice
Education and Training:
- University degree preferred with emphasis on relevant areas of work and/or professional designation with over 10 years of experience, which includes previous management experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Lean Six Sigma Green or Black belt preferred or willingness to obtain.
- PMP certification is preferred, evidence of relevant applicable business experience and education (eg. MBA) will be considered.
- Incumbent will have employees in multiple sites. Travel will be required approximately 25% of the time.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process, or those needing job postings in an alternative format, may e-mail a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please click here to Apply On-Line.
Sun Life Financial