|Address||St. John's, NL, Canada
The New Hope Community Centre is a social service ministry for low-income residents living in the downtown core of St. John’s. One of our primary services is a lunch program offered on Tuesdays and a Sunday evening meal offered once a month, where an average of 60-100 people are served.
We are looking for a cook that is interested in joining a team of staff and volunteers to oversee meal preparation and food service operations.
The position is 20 hours a week. This is an excellent position for an energetic, experienced individual who is looking to supplement a household income or complement another part time job.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• Cooking and preparing meals with the assistance of volunteers
• Overseeing the work of volunteers in the set-up, delivery of lunch and cleanup
• Pick-up of items from Community Food Sharing Association (in Community Centre van)
• Food storage & regular rotation of stock of a small inventory to avoid wastage
• Observing any maintenance issues in a commercial cooking environment and informing management of major problems that need outside expertise
• Act as the employee representative on the Occupational Health and Safety Committee
• Other duties that may be required to assist in the ongoing success of the Ministry
The successful candidate should:
• Have the ability to work within a Christian faith-based setting and uphold the mission, vision and values of The Salvation Army
• Have knowledge and experience in a commercial cooking environment
• Be able to direct and guide volunteers with scheduled kitchen duties
• Have knowledge of the Canada Food Guide and prepare meals accordingly
• Have knowledge of NL food safety regulations and be prepared to attend related workshops
• Be able to lift up to 30 lbs.
• Possess good interpersonal skills and be a team player
• Possess a valid Newfoundland Driver’s License
• Obtain a Criminal Police Check with a clear vulnerable sector and clearance through The Salvation Army Internal Abuse Registry and be willing to sign The Salvation Army Code of Conduct Receipt & Acknowledgement Form
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
$15.00 per hour
40 hours bi-weekly
Interested applicants may respond in writing by October 28, 2016