This position will carry out various routine testing and analysis, following written work instructions under the direction of the Supervisor of a specific department.
* Duties may include: sample reception, sample identification, sample preparation, sample dilutions, setting up analytical batches and analysis, batch Quality Control, approving and releasing results to the data centre and filing of lab results/data.
* Ensure samples are logged into LIMS accurately and in a quick manner.
* Ensure samples are catalogued and stored in an efficient and easily retrievable manner.
* Assists laboratory personnel in locating and retrieving of samples and also responsible for sample disposal or returning samples to clients.
* Calibration and set up of laboratory equipment prior to analysis.
* Maintain and record equipment calibrations.
* Preparation of standards and reagents.
* Interpreting and evaluating results.
* Monitor Equipment maintenance & laboratory supplies.
* Follow all company health, safety and environmental policies.
* Maintains a clean working environment.
* Follow all Quality system protocols, report discrepancies to his/her Supervisor.
* May be asked to work in other areas of the Environmental Services laboratory sections.
* May be assigned and coordinate special or ad hoc projects as needed.
For candidates who meet these pre-requisites, SGS offers a stimulating professional, environment and a very competitive compensation package
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian jobs openings must be authorized to work in Canada.
SGS is the World's Leading Inspection, Testing, Verification & Certification Company
SGS Canada is an Employment Equity Employer
* A minimum of a high school diploma (or equivalent) is required.
* A post secondary education (degree and/or diploma) in a Science related program (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Environmental Science) is a strong asset.
* A minimum of 1 - 3 years of experience in a laboratory setting is a strong asset.
* Previous experience using a variety of laboratory instrumentation is a strong asset.
* Good hand/eye coordination when handling samples & lab equipment.
* Must use good judgment to identify and resolve problems on the job. When in difficulty refer problems to his/her supervisor for resolution.
* Intermediate level of creativity required in solving routine problems.
* Must be comfortable with numerals in order to monitor data on a computer screen.
* Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
* Able to work well under pressure during high (peak) work loads and balancing conflicting demands of high volume versus the quality of results.
* Candidates must be proficient in using various type of computer software (Word, Excel etc.).
* Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment.
* Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition.
* Ability to work well with others & independently.
* Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
* Works well under pressure.
* Extended hours and shiftwork may be required from time to time.
* Travel to other SGS locations may be required from time to time.
* Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.