- On Kijiji since September 2013
- View poster's other Ads
|Address||1571 Centre Line, Norwood, ON K0L 2V0, Canada
|Job Offered By||Professional Employer|
|Company||Shepherd's Choice Breeding Stock|
Working Conditions and Duties
Predominately out doors in all kinds of weather. This is a family operation and is a non smoking environment. The farm land base is split into several different land parcels. The work can be physically challenging. This is an operation where there is a requirement for team members to practice continual learning and the ability to adapt to change is important. Your input will be valued in the decision making process.
1. Seasonal grazing management using intensive rotational grazing systems. Comprehension of pasture feed budgeting. Moving sheep to new pastures on a regular basis, and supplementary feeding if necessary with ATV and snacka feeder. Maintain pasture water supply system and electric fences through regular repairs.
2. Day to day monitoring of the health of the animals. Ability to recognize common ailments such as lameness, mastitis, listeriosis, pregnancy toxemia, acidosis, urinary calculi, cocciddiosis, internal parasites, cervical and uterine prolapses. Monitor the body condition of the ewe flock, using standard body condition scoring, to achieve optimum body condition prior to mating and lambing. During lambing season, identify common birthing mal-presentations and be able to independently assist in the successful delivery. Recognize starvation and hypothermia in new born lambs, and be able to provide corrective actions. Be able to perform a number of fostering techniques for orphaned lambs. Deliver preventative medication by injection, oral drench as instructed by farm manager monitor the accurate calibration of delivery equipment to ensure the correct dosage for appropriate class of animal.
3. Equipment Operation Proficient ATV operator. Suitable skill level with large loader tractors to remove manure from barns, move round bales, fill feed wagon, pack feed in silage storage bunks and clear snow. Other general tractor duties to include pulling of wagons, mowing and raking hay and manure and fertilizer spreading. Basic maintenance of this equipment is required. General building repairs and cleaning and disinfecting of equipment.
4. Predation Control Management Timely deadstock removal and disposal. Care, feeding and general health monitoring of Livestock Guardian Dogs. Ability to construct permanent hi-tensile page-wire and electric fencing, move temporary electric fencing, plus fault finding and maintenance on electric fence lines.
5. Flock Feeding Competent to deliver correct feed rations to animals in various stages of production, when in winter housing, using tractors and a variety of mechanical feeding equipment as instructed by farm manager. Responsible for routine maintenance of feeding equipment.
6. Shearing - Assist the contract shearers with filling pens, packing wool bags and sorting fleeces. Dependant on your skill level - shearing and crutching duties would be an asset.
Be able to interpret animal behavior. Move large and small groups of animals , with the assistance of trained Border Collies (where appropriate), in a controlled manner, without undue stress to the animals.
Attention to detail. Assist the farm manager with the accurate collection of flock data inventory, (births, deaths, disposals) along with mating, health and production details on a computerized system. Correctly identify lambs shortly after birth by tag or tattoo, and apply tailing bands. Weighing of lambs at 50 and 100 days of age for performance recording. Weighing and body conditioning of lambs for sale.
Additional Optional Assets
Ability to train Border Collies as working sheep dogs
Hunting and trapping skills would be helpful for predation control.