The successful incumbent will be responsible for para-technical functions of the Laboratory while adhering to all current operating procedures. Practices good judgment in the performance of job responsibilities and promotes site objectives through good interpersonal skills. |
- Receive, assess and produce whole blood and apheresis platelets and plasma into requested blood components.
- Prepares, produces and completes paperwork on all blood components.
- Performs bacterial detection.
- Receives orders, selects, issues, dispatches, and packs blood, blood components and fractionation products to hospitals according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Prepares donor samples for testing according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Prepares shipment of units to fractionation plant.
- May be assigned to operate a computer terminal and other automated equipment.
- Maintains adequate stock of supplies and prepares weekly supply orders.
- Performs cleaning of equipment and supplies.
- End labels and stores products.
- Observes laboratory hygiene and safety regulations and precautions.
- Performs other department related tasks and duties as assigned.
- Completion of a secondary school program, with Math 30 and Science 30 courses, is required.
- Computer literacy.
- Previous related experience in a laboratory or similarly regulated environment, including knowledge of general laboratory policies and procedures, medical terminology and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
- Laboratory Assistant Certificate or combination of relevant work experience and education is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both oral and written English.
- Fluency in French would be an asset.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Medically fit to perform the core duties.
- Ability to keyboard information with accuracy and speed.
- Ability to prioritize workload.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Must be available to work variable shifts - days, evenings and weekends.
CANADIAN BLOOD SERVICES