Job Title: Engineering Assistant |
Job Number: SO-133
Department: Facilities Management
Supervisor Title: Project Managers
Status: Full-time (35 hours per week), Regular
Salary: $50,882 – $60,073 per annum
Location: Trent University Peterborough
Start Date: As soon as possible
Provides design drafting services for the Facilities Management Department. Responsible for maintaining the CAD drawings data base and developing and enhancing a graphic data base in ARCHIBUS. Analyzing the space required for the functional needs expressed by the organization. Responsible for the maintenance of the inventories and data on space and will produce reports required by the Ministry and others. Analyzes existing space inventories in order to determine the appropriate course of action and makes recommendations to the management team.
- Maintain, analyze and communicate information regarding University space inventory database using ARCHIBUS facilities management software;
- Analyze and interpret the space data in multiple context including to conform to MTCU, COU and/or University standards;
- Responsible for updating and maintaining VFA deferred maintenance data base.
- Create reports using the ARCHIBUS software report writer, including ad-hoc report writing to better-communicate data to requesting parties (MTCU, COU, Management Team).
- Preparation and analysis of information for inclusion in comprehensive reporting as required by MTCU, COU, Director of Institutional Analysis
- Evaluate the inventory of the current space and verify that the inventory is correct.
- Respond to requests for information about the inventory of existing and proposed space, and prepare reports to communicate findings and recommendations.
- Develop and expand the scope of the ARCHIBUS software to take advantage of the full functionality available. Develop reporting to communicate all elements available within the expanded scope.
- Assists Project Managers with capital projects, building projects/coordinating FF&E, signage and moves.
- Act as a design resource person for space questions during the construction phase of projects.
- Act as a resource person for the planning of the short term space needs for all departments within the University
- Participate in tender/bid process for Capital Projects. Inclusive of RFI/RFQ/Bonfire submissions.
- Interpret MTCU, COU standards and apply them to space planning projects
- Sits as a Trent representative on COU Space Standards Committee
2. Drafting Design;
- Conduct on-site inspections to determine exact requirements
- Make recommendations on best use of space for proposed renovations
- Use CAD software to create working drawings that include architectural, electrical, fire safety and mechanical details
- Make recommendations with respect to flooring, furniture, finishes and ensure that colour and quality standards are maintained
- Furniture selection – interior design consulting
3. Maintain CAD drawing database;
- Using CAD, update existing drawings to reflect renovations, and add new buildings as they come on line
- Ensure, at all times, that CAD drawings interface accurately with the ARCHIBUS facilities management software
- Analyze and reconcile the CAD and ARCHIBUS databases to ensure consistent and accurate interface
4.Signage and Way Finding;
- Maintain the University way finding system.
- Responsible for design, drawing lay outs and engaging contractors.
- Ensures compliance with AODA standards with respect to signage
- Design room numbering/naming framework.
- Providing input to internal parties with respect to map development
- Supervision of sign contractor during production and installation.
- Obtaining quotes and processing payments
5. Graphics for Presentations;
- Using drawings software, create small and large-scale drawing and pictures for use in presentations by a varied number of clients.
6. Records Storage/Management;
- Maintain hard copy architectural, mechanical and electrical drawing files and related specification files.
- Maintain current inventory for carpeting, paint and other building product materials.
- Architectural Technician or Technologist Diploma (3 year) required.
- Proven formal training in AutoCAD.
- Completion of Ontario Building Code Examination preferred (BCIN)
- Three (3) years of experience in an engineering/architect/construction environment utilizing AutoCAD.
- Experience as member of construction/renovation design teams.
- Advanced AutoCAD skills.
- Familiarity with space analysis principles
- Proficient in Excel, Word, MS Project
- Valid Class ‘G’ Drivers License
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
For more information, please visit trentu.ca/employment
To Apply: Those interested in applying are asked to submit a cover letter, resume and application form (if applicable), by email to email@example.com (Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF) no later than Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 4:00 p.m. Please note your full name and the job title in the subject line of your email (i.e. First and Last Name – Job Title). Applications from external candidates will be considered only when accompanied by a completed Application Form.
Trent University is actively committed to creating a diverse and inclusive campus community and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Trent University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process or require an accessible version of a document/publication, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
While the University appreciates all applications, please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. In the case of regular/recurring OPSEU positions, the University will consider internal OPSEU applicants first, in accordance with the OPSEU Collective Agreement.