In Nayarit’s Riviera, there is a great need to protect the American crocodile "Acutus". Due to the destruction, pollution, invasion of their habitat by humans, exploiting their skin and flesh, this crocodile species is in danger of extinction. In 2010, a team of professional biologists and conservationists created a site where crocodiles could be relocated in a safe area for the species and humans. This sanctuary allows visitors and the general public to learn about crocodiles' behavior and how people can live in harmony with them. This year, volunteers are invited to help take care of the crocodiles and the sanctuary.
Always accompanied by an expert, the volunteers will take on different tasks throughout the project including:
1. Monitoring the health of the crocodiles’ ecosystem.
2. Counting the number of individuals.
3. Assist in feeding crocodiles and cleaning the areas where they are temporarily in captivity.
4. Assist in watering plants needed to provide shade for the crocodiles in captivity.
5. Assist in taking photographs and samples of the habitat.
6. Assist in signal processing for those using crocodile areas, preparation of reports for specimens in the wild and in captivity.
The sanctuary has the appropriate permissions from the Mexican government and always operates in cooperation with the environmental protection and conservation authorities.
February 15 - February 27, 2017
March 1 - March 13, 2017
March 22 - April 3, 2017
April 5 - April 17, 2017
Find out more at: http://cadip.org/volunteer-in-mexico
Volunteering Worldwide: http://cadip.org