Useful tips for buying genuine event tickets
Unfortunately, ticket scams can be hard to spot, as it can be difficult to verify the authenticity of a ticket until you are at the event itself. Here are a few tips to help you stay safe and avoid disappointment:
- As with all Kijiji transactions, remember to always meet face-to-face to make the sale as most fraud occurs via online money transfers. Fraudsters frequently request deposits (or the full purchase price) and claim they will send the tickets by post or email. Sometimes sellers will even send fake tickets, though typically they disappear after receiving the funds.
- When meeting locally, if possible, do so at a location where the tickets can be verified, such as the venue itself. If you are not meeting at the time of the event, you should call ahead and check that an employee will be able to verify them for you.
- Research the prices that the tickets are going for to ensure that the seller’s price is in line with the market value. If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- If the seller is trying to pressure you into a very quick sale, this is often a red flag. Scammers often put pressure on people to act before they have the time to think things through. Take a step back and ensure you are comfortable with the speed that the transaction is occurring at.
- We recommend avoiding e-tickets in your Kijiji transactions. E-tickets can be easily reproduced, and while the ticket may be legitimate, if they have sold many copies of the same ticket, only the first one scanned will be valid at the door.
- Box office tickets are also easy scam targets as if the seller doesn’t change the name that the tickets are under, you will be denied entry. We recommend avoiding them.
If you happen to come across any suspicious ads on Kijiji, please flag them and bring them to the attention of our moderators. As well, if you receive suspicious follow up emails from a seller, please make a note of that in the flag on their ad. You can also check out our help files topics on fraud or email customer support directly with any questions or concerns about scams. Our moderation team patrols the site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, reviewing flags, and keeping the site clean. We are always happy to look into potential scams and answer questions—keeping Kijiji safe and fun for our users is our #1 priority!