Tips for finding perfect cabin rentals
There’s nothing quite like a ski getaway with friends and loved ones. Traveling allows you to explore new and exciting places like Quebec in a way that enriches your world view while creating memories to last a lifetime. With all the excitement that travel brings, some helpful planning tips can go a long way in making your stay truly relaxing so you can enjoy your cottage escape.
First: the accommodations. Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or setting out on your first adventure, the internet has become the go-to place to find dreamy accommodations so that you can book the cottage or vacation rental that fits your needs. Searching your destination’s tourism website, the cottage’s dedicated site, or online classifieds like Kijiji are some of the main ways to help you find the rental of your dreams. Online classifieds are a great way to get a more local flavour and allow you to get in touch with the owner of the property, which you might not be able to do through more traditional vacation rental channels.
On online classifieds, you can also ask locals in the area you’re looking into for recommendations on cottages to rent and owners who might be interested in renting.
You may also like to read:
Book in advance
Thinking of a summer cottage rental? The time to book is now! In more tourist heavy areas like the Muskokas, the Sunshine Coast, the Laurentians, and the Eastern Townships, cabin rentals fill up fast and are normally reserved months in advance.
Things to consider when choosing a cottage:
- Activities: Are you going for a ski holiday? Opt for a cabin near a mountain. Have hiking on your itinerary? Book a place near the trailhead. Want to wade into some water sports? A cottage near a lake is perfect.
- Budget: You can find everything from luxury cottages to more rustic abodes. It’s all about nailing down the place that suits your comfort level and your pocketbook.
- Guests: Are you going on a friends trip, a romantic getaway, or a fun-filled family vacation? The number and type of guests you’re travelling with will greatly affect your choice of accommodations.
Some questions to ask yourself:
- How many guests will there be?
- How many bedrooms will you need?
- Will you need parking and, if so, will driveways be cleared and easily accessible during winter vacations?
- Is the cottage fully furnished or will you need to bring items from home (bedding, dishes, towels, etc.)?
Tips for saving
- Extend your stay. Ask about discounted rates when renting for a longer period.
- Negotiate. Discussing rates with the cottage owner may yield extra savings during your stay.
- Keep an eye out for promotions through tourism sites.
- Vacation off season. Avoid peak travel times like Christmas and spring break to find the best deals on chalets. In general, winter is the least busy time for cottage rentals with the exception of those near ski resorts.
- Pay attention to cleaning fees and other additional costs as well as hidden clauses in your rental agreement to avoid surprises on your bill when checking out.
- Small chalets or small houses are a cheap and trendy way for couples to enjoy the cottage experience without shelling out money for an unnecessary multi-bedroom rental.
With these tips, you’re sure to find the cottage retreat of your dreams so you can enjoy beautiful, quiet moments when relaxing in the countryside. To get the best value for your money, make sure to head to Kijiji to connect with locals to find the best deals on chalets. Have a good stay!