Tips for finding perfect cabin rentals
Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or setting out on your first adventure, the internet has become the go-to place to find dreamy accommodations–whether through tourism websites, accomodation-sharing sites or online classifieds.
There’s nothing quite like a ski getaway with friends and loved ones. Traveling allows you to explore new and exciting places like Quebec in a way that enriches your world view while creating memories to last a lifetime. With all the excitement that travel brings, some helpful planning tips can go a long way in making your stay truly relaxing so you can enjoy your cottage escape.
First: the accommodations. Thanks to the internet, there are plenty of ways to book the cottage that fits your needs. Searching your destination’s tourism website, the cottage’s dedicated site, or online classifieds are some of the main ways to help you find the lodgings of your dreams. Online classifieds are a great way to get a more local flavor and allow you to get in touch with the owner of the cottage for access that you might not receive through traditional vacation rental channels.
You may also like to read:
You can also ask locals in the area you’re looking into for recommendations on cottages to rent and owners who might be interesting in renting.
Book in advance
Thinking of a summer cottage rental? The time to book is now! In more tourist heavy areas like Laurentians, the Eastern Township and Charlevoix, cabin rentals fill up fast and are normally reserved months in advance.
This to consider when choosing a cottage:
- Activities: Going for a ski holiday? Opt for a cabin near a mountain. Have hiking on your itinerary? Book a place near the trailhead. Want to wade into some water sports? A cottage near a lake is perfect.
- Budget: You can find everything from luxury cottages to more rustic abodes. It’s all about nailing down the place that suits your comfort level and your pocketbook.
- Guests: Are you going trip with friends, a romantic getaway or a fun-filled family vacation? The number of guests will greatly affect your choice of accommodations.
Some questions to ask yourself:
- How many guests will there be?
- How many bedrooms will you need?
- Will you need parking and will driveways be cleared and easily accessible during winter vacations?
- Is the cottage fully furnished or will you need to bring items from home (bedding, dishes, towels, etc.)?
Tips for saving
- Extend your stay. Ask about discounted rates when renting for a longer period.
- Negotiate. Discussing rates with the cottage owner may yield extra saving during your stay.
- Keep an eye out for promotions through tourism sites.
- Vacation off season. Avoid peak travel times like Christmas and spring break for the best deals on chalets. In general, winter is the least busy for Quebec cottage rentals with the exception of those near ski resorts.
- Pay attention to cleaning fees and other additional costs or hidden clauses in your rental agreement to avoid surprises on your bill when checking out.
- Small chalets or small houses are a cheap and trendy way for couples to enjoy the cottage experience without shelling out money for an unnecessary multi-bedroom rental.
With these tips, you’re sure to find the cottage retreat of your dreams so you can enjoy beautiful, quiet moments when relaxing in the countryside.
Have a good stay!