The Eco Village on Rusinga Island, Homa Bay aims to bring change to the lives of local people who face challenges such as food insecurity, HIV/AIDS and lack of education, among other pressing issues. It also seeks to inspire change in the general paradigms of the local population towards a more holistic and responsible way of living. The Eco Village promotes permaculture principles and ethics: earth care, people care and fair share. It is a model farm, or epicenter, for both sustainable agriculture and holistic community development. The Eco Village successfully hosted a Permaculture Development Course and aims to become an International Permaculture Center. Within the project there is a primary school, which was created with the common aim of providing education to children around the community.
This volunteer project aims to promote and demonstrate sustainable practices in food production and community development, guided by the ethics and principles of permaculture.
The volunteer tasks include:
• Permaculture farm activities like digging, weeding, slashing, mulching and clearing of bushes;
• Soil conservation and tree planting within the school compound;
• Teaching English, mathematics and creative arts in the school;
• Home visits to old and sick community members in the afternoon and assisting with general cleaning;
• Beach cleanup to improve sanitation and hygiene around the community.
Project dates: June 6 - June 24, 2020
Find out more about this and other volunteer opportunities in Kenya at: http://cadip.org/volunteer-in-kenya
Take steps to make your Kijiji transactions as secure as possible by following our suggested safety tips.Read our Safety Tips